Live high, live mighty, live righteously, just taking it easy.
--Jason Mraz

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Chair Slipcover

All over blog land are newbie sewers who are making incredible slipcovers for their furniture for a song.  I need to redo my home and need to do it for a song.  I can sew.  I fancy myself as a pretty decent sewer; I have made curtains, pillows, and clothes. 

We have lived in our home for almost 10 years and I admit that the colour of the walls and the basic furnishings have remained the same for most of that time.  There have been brief furniture moves, but essentially, it is the same space.

Blue is my favourite colour.  Why then, is my living room green?  It was lovely and cosy and much, much better than the 80's peach on the walls when we moved it.  The last 10 years have been spent focused on raising three kids and not much on home decorating.  Enter blog land to make my living room feel, well, BLEAH.

Did I mention I needed to redecorate on a song?  That means not breaking the bank to get a nice home.  Heck, that means not visiting the bank.  Inspiration derived from many blogs - some of whom even graciously include detail tutorials - means that I feel I can totally tackle some slipcovers.  That and a few free metres of the perfect blue fabric. (THANKS MOM!!)

Enter a free chair minus cushion.  FREE.  Hello.  I looked at my dear husband, promised things I'd rather not share and asked him if he would go get it for me.  He did, I did. Let's move on.


No cushion, no problem!
And there it sat, and sat.  A free chair sans cushion, for almost a year. 

My mom purchased the cushion for me.  (I have to pay her back, but the foam place is not open at night or on weekends) I made her a template, told her I wanted the hardest foam they have and sent her off.  I had budgeted $80.00 for it.  It cost $30.00 hello. 

The Christmas break was longer for me this year (thank you work!) and Ian had time off during the season for the first time since our son Tavish was born. (that is Tavish in the background up there) This meant I had some time on my hands.  I am allergic to time on my hands.  It took me an entire day to create patterns to make my slipcover.  I want a tight cover, one that looks a bit less shabby and more chic.  I am going to add a shabby couch cover and a nice french-inspired coffee table.  I will blog about those later.  I also found some wicked fabric to add interest, expect a blog later.

The cushion is done, that leaves the rest of the slipcover.  I promise to blog about it with a nice reveal.

Live High.
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment