Live high, live mighty, live righteously, just taking it easy.
--Jason Mraz

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Papered Bookcase

Delayed Renovation-


A while back I begged my mom to go pick up a kijji find - your standard, brown bookcase for the centre of my living room.  Someone has got to get a bigger vehicle...I moved it in, and there it sat, holding crap for a number of months.  I stopped seeing it after a while.  Here is a 'sort of'before picture of at least one shelf.  It has my faux mercury glass vases.  BTW, I have never found any real looking glass spray paint in Canada.  If you see it, let me know.



See?  Same accesories but waaay nicer bookcase


Mid Way Progress

I forgot to take a boring beige picture - this is it mid way through
I LOVE books.  I mean it, despite the tearing apart of the books to use them for crafts, I really love books.  I love reading them and recycling them.


I hope to be forgiven for not remembering who first shared this in blog land.  I saw a book papered wall and thought that Ian would never allow that.  I did not even bother to ask.  A bookcase, however, could be managed without too many rolling of eyes.


A bit of procrastination in the project department, meant that I could not move on to another sewing project until I painted this sucker.  I also wanted to paper the back of it with one of my favourite books - Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.  I hope she is not mad.  It was an ode to a fantastic book and series that I had read a number of times.


Here is one shelf. 




I love this shelf!  See the glass container?  LOVE it.
 You can't quite see the eggs but yes, mod podged with sheet music.  Sick!


It was pretty easy; I thinned out some white glue, the elmers kind, and painted the book pages on to the back.  It took a bit of doing in the summer heat.  I hate having asthma.



And here it is completed!
A quick coat of wipe on poly and it was ready to go back in the living room.  I think it looks lovely.  Don't you?  I am linking here. and here and here. Of course I am showing off at Miss Mustard Seed.

Live High,
Heather


5 comments:

  1. Looks great! I've been wanting to do something silmilar for a while now. I love the look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the book pages on the back. Very nice. Did you tear up any good books to read?

    Peggy @ southscapedesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was one of my favourites, Outlander by Diana Gabbldon. I read it a few times first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete