Live high, live mighty, live righteously, just taking it easy.
--Jason Mraz

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Own Faux Mercury Glass

Who does not love mercury glass?
I am so getting this for my kitchen
 It adds layers to decor.

A mercury glass candle holder
Mercury glass is both expensive and hard to find.  I found a blog with a tutorial providing instructions for making your own mercury glass at home.  I like a challenge.  I like to avoid housework. 

It was off to Value Village for a pair of matching vases.  The tutorial recommended mirror spray paint, we picked that up and a spray bottle for vinegar (it eats the paint a bit and makes it look old.)

They started as clear vases. And yes, I forgot to take a picture of them before I got going on transforming them.

These are the vases with two coats of spray paint and some vinegar.

They did not look vintage enough, so I took some super fine steel wool to the insides to remove a bit more of the silver spray paint.

And here they are done with a bit of black paint to make them look old.

What do you think?  There is lots of silver spray paint left, if you would like one, let me know.  I think I followed the tutorial pretty well!  Send me a note and let me know what you think.

Live High,
 Heather

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you find the first lamp? So gorgeous

    ReplyDelete