Live high, live mighty, live righteously, just taking it easy.
--Jason Mraz

Monday, September 6, 2010

The answer is not paper or plastic, it is FABRIC.

I just read Ian's blog about plastic, cluttering up our oceans, killing fish, leaving a disgusting legacy for an awful long time.  School starts tomorrow - yippee!!- and the school has asked for litterless lunches.  That is such a challenge.  Everything is prepackaged, there are only plastic sandwich baggies, what is a busy mom to do?  I googled it.  This is what I found.  You can make little fabric baggies for a song.  (If songs were currency, it would be anything by Jason Mraz, but I digress)  I found a quick instruction for bags that will hold anything dry - goldfish, cookies, pretzels - get me? for a few hours until lunch.  Think about it.  The food is kept in a lunch bag lined in fabric and only needs to be kept out of harms way for about 2 and half hours until lunch.  Easy peasy.  I admit to being addicted to sewing.  This little bags took no time to create and I was able to make about 25 (one for each day of the week, for three kids plus a few extras) in a few hours and for nothing but the cost of velcro and my time.  I surveyed my stash of fabric and found a few scraps kicking around that would work for both boys and girls.  I made them up and they are ready to go for tomorrow.  I know that it may not fix the ocean's plastic issue but I guess that each creative step to eliminate/reduce our plastic usage is one in the right direction.

My camera died - I will buy one this week and post a few photos of the bags but until then, here are some cool sites that have interesting green packaging ideas for lunches.  Give it a try!

 http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-sew-a-reusable-sandwich-bag/2009/06/17/
http://www.wrap-n-mat.com/
 http://www.everythingmom.com/organic-reviews/reusable-sandwich-bags-reusable-snack-bags.html

No comments:

Post a Comment