Live high, live mighty, live righteously, just taking it easy.
--Jason Mraz

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas Angel

This is my Bronwyn from a few years ago.

 
Bronwyn is my youngest child and she still believes in Santa. Given that she is my baby, I am loathe to have that part of her childhood disappear into memory.  This year she has been asking 'Is Santa real?" "How does he deliver presents to everyone?" and so it goes.

We were driving the other day and Bronwyn was wondering what colour mittens Mrs.Claus was going to knit for her this year.  This filled me with mild curiosity.  I asked her more and she informed me that Mrs. Claus had knitted her a nice pair of lavender mittens last year.  Interesting.  I wonder when I had bought her lavender mittens and I could not remember telling her who made them for her.  I'm sure I am not the only parent who buys stuff through out the year and forgets...
 

The well worn and much loved lavender mitts, knitted by Mrs. Claus.

 
Bronwyn's desire for a new pair of hand made mittens caused me a panic.  I knit and I crochet but I certainly do not make mittens.  Also, given the late date, most craft fairs were over and I don't know anyone who I could call in a favour.
 

Crap.  Double CRAP.  Profanity Friday CRAP.

 
 
I did a search of kijiji and found a person who knits hats and scarves - no mention of mitts.  I sent an email anyway.  It turns out she did knit mitts and would happily sell me a pair of them.  Astonishingly, she knit me mitts in a few days.  I paid her extra because she was charging too low and she also donates her hats and scarves to her church.  The extra cash could pay for some more wool.
 
Here are the mitts she made for me:
 
 

So nice of her to make these mittens for me.
 
Pretty awesome right?!  This may be Bronwyn's last year of believing in some of the magic of Christmas, and this is one of those special things she will remember.  I made a little card from Mrs. Claus saying she read the request in Bronwyn's letter to Santa.
 
 
I hope you have a Merry Christmas and you have a chance to do something special for someone this holiday season.
 
Live High,
 
Heather
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment